Thursday 16 June 2011

Quick home decor makes!

I had plenty of pretty stash left over from my "Home" layout (posted yesterday), so I decided it to put it to good use and embarked on a couple of quick home decor makes. Having just moved into our first home together, we are really keen on finding little treasures and giving them a homemade spin unique to us.

I'd stumbled across this gorgeous cream metal jug, perfect for my kitchen windowsill, but felt it needed something a little extra to make it really fit in with the cosy country kitchen feel we are aiming for.

Rummaging through the packet of Love Game Whatnots, I spied a card which had red writing saying "prize soap" on it - perfect for the kitchen, all I seem to do is wash dishes and clothes!
Using an acrylic heart shape I've had in my stash since the dawn of time, I drew around the portion of the card I wanted to make into a little tag, and cut it out.
I stuck this using glossy accents onto the back of the heart. As an alternative to the acrylic shape, you could adhere the paper to a chipboard shape, and then cover this with layers of glossy accent to give it a shiny protective surface.

I then strung this around the neck of the jug using some of the twine I had left over, and added a gingham bow. Hey presto for a super quick make that transformed an ordinary item into something unique and tied into the decor of our kitchen.

Whilst browsing through the Lily Bee ranges choosing papers for my Home layout, I fell in love with the "Fresh Air" paper from their Picket Fence collection. I didn't end up using it on my page, but knew that the olivey-green faded text design would be perfect for a little idea for decorating a frame I had.
I used the perspex sheet from within the frame as a guide for cutting my paper and leaf coloured cardstock to size. Then to create the mount from the cardstock I marked out a square with a pencil and cut it out wish a sharp craft knife.

The main embellishment in my frame was this pretty little heart I crocheted from a free pattern I found online. I also stamped the word "love" straight onto the perspex using green stazon. I also added some pearls straight onto the plastic.
I also used some of the Fresh Air paper to cover to small metal hearts, which I popped on the bottom left corner of the frame along with some decorative tape in a matching colour, a butterfly punched from the cardstock, and a key and heart from the gorgeous My Minds Eye Embellishments - I love the way they dangle from the edge of the frame.
I hope that you are inspired to squeeze the last bits of your stash to make some quick and simple decorative items for your home - a perfect solution for all the unused scraps from your Sarah's Cards kits! We really would love to see what you come up with so please link us up to your creations in the comments :)

Be sure to pop back in a couple of days to see what fab projects Claire's got to share with us all :)
Love, Nat xxx

5 comments:

Jill said...

Ooh Nat what a busy bee you are, great ideas! Jill x

Cathy C said...

Love your home decor projects Nat!!

Louise said...

Wow, love these ideas. Just brilliant
x

Jenga said...

Gorgeous ideas hun x

Gems said...

Beautiful Nat, love them :) xx