Saturday 10 September 2011

Hang it out again...


Part two: more ways with twine and embossing powders...

Evie loves pink.  When I was looking for some photos to use, I realised that so many of the pictures of Evie involved outfits that included something pink.  If you ask her what her favourite colour is, her answer is most definitely 'pink!'.  So I used another 'washing line' and pegs to hang up some of Evie's favourite outfits involving pink: 'Pink, pink and more pink!'



Click on the photo to see a larger version
(supply list can be found here)
After picking out some suitably pink papers from possibly my most favourite paper range ever, My Mind's Eye Stella and Rose, I made a large mat area in the middle of the page from three stips of paper, rounding off the corners before sticking it down.

Using the Twine: 
From there, I added the twine line.  This time I wrapped three lengths around the card, tying off in a knot on the back.  To give a different look to the line  on my previous post, I tried to separate the strands at the edges and then tied on some extra strands of both the lemon and pink twines partway along the line, with the ends left to dangle down the left-hand side of the page.


I also used the pink twine in a few more ways.  On the picture below, you can see part of the stitched page frame which I marked out first with a ruler and paper piercer before sewing a running stitch in one direction and then back in the other to fill in the gaps using the pink/yellow twine.  
I also wrapped it around the exclamation amrk and sewed a cross stitch over the 'i' to add some texture and interest to the Thickers.


Using the embossing powders:
This time, I made the pegs pink (they just had to be pink!) using the grapefruit Zing powder.  They're actually much pinker and vibrant in real life than they appear on the photo of the layout. 

When I was looking for letters for my title, I typically didn't have quite the right shade that I was looking for.  I've painted and coloured Thickers before  but never used embossing powders on them so decided to experiment.  It worked really well but I definitely recommend being in a well ventilated room as there was a really strong smell whilst the powder was heated.  It's probably a good idea to stick them down with temporary adhesive too if you don't fancy playing chase the letter across your desk with the heatgun!


I made the line of hearts using a tiny heart punch and punching repeatedly across the strip of paper.  I picked out one of the hearts and coloured it in with a Versamark pen and then embossed with more of the Grapefruit Zing powder.

Having kids around has proved very useful for providing inspiration/giving me ideas.  My daughter was quietly making patterns with her Spirograph, when I had a lightbulb moment and commandeered it.  Using a scrap of kraft card and a Versamark pen, I picked a hole in the circle part and started drawing. 

These are two of the patterns that I produced with the help of Butter Zing powder:

I trimmed part of the 'doily' style shapes before sticking down onto the edges of the layout.  This one was filled with one of the leftover hearts that I'd punched from the strip of pink paper:

As well as the 'pegs', I also used a paperclip to hold the second photo on the line.  I Iove spending time on Pinterest, lusting over pretty things and being inspired to be creative.  One idea that I knew I just had to try was to create my own heart-shaped paperclip.  I pinned a link to the tutorial here if you'd like to have a go.  Luckily, I managed to find a pink paperclip to use which was perfect to include on this layout as another way to attach something to the twine line.

I hope I've given you a few ideas for using these products.  I'd love to see some of your own ideas too for using twine and embossing: if you have any to share, leave a comment and link so I can have a look :)

Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

Louise said...

Brilliant! I LOVE that row of hearts, and using the versamark pen with spirograph is genius!!! Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon ;)
x

Ifa said...

Didn't realise it was a spirograph. Very cool. Didn't think the pen and spirograph could be such clear results!

Jenga said...

Ok you have to stop being so inspirational with embossing powders/heat gun etc!!! I'll start to regret giving you mine cos i never used it!!! lol

Great post hun xxx

Trina said...

Gorgeous Helen, I love that row of hearts too and the Spirograph is truly inspirational!

Have you hand stitched round the edge?

I do that all the time Jen, give people stuff then when i see what they have done with it, I want it back lol

T xxx

Nat said...

LOVE the idea of the versamark pen in the spirograph - genius!!! xxx

MissusMege said...

I love this LO so much! The colours, papers, spirograph design, row of hearts and twine..basically all of it! :)

Gems said...

So cute :) I love the little row of hearts, and all the embossing looks fab! xx