Tuesday 24 January 2012

* * Three super quick layouts using 6x6 paper pads * *

Hello all

It's Laura here with a couple of ideas on how to use 6x6 pads to create quick and simple 12x12 layouts. 

6x6 pads are the perfect way to get a whole collection of papers and incoperate lots of patterns into your layouts without having to buy the whole collection.  They are also the perfect opportunity to "trial" a paper collection and then you can go onto buy the full sheets of your favourite patterns.

6x6 pads are small and very affordable.  Its a great way to build up your stash.  In this blog post I have featured three 6x6 pads. 

* Autumn Press by Studio Calico

* Vanity Fair by My Minds Eye

and

* Happy Days by Echo Park


Links direct to the shop are at the bottom of this blog post!

These three layouts are all super quick... I completed these three layouts in less than 2 hours.  A great way to get some memories documented.  By using a set of patterened papers from a 6x6 pad you can be sure that the papers are already colour co-ordinated and work well together, thus taking the guess work out of matching patterned papers.

Firstly... I created the layout below by creating a paper stack using the Studio Calico pad.   I took five 6x6 pieces and roughly cut them (as in I used scissors, not a trimmer and I didn't measure) into smaller and smaller squares.  The bottom piece, the red polka dot one, is the full 6x6 size and the papers layered on top get slightly smaller with each layer.
The whole stack was added to a piece of dark cardstock, journalling and title added and this whole sheet was then cut down and mounted onto the kraft cardstock.  Off cuts from the cut squares were then added in underneath the dark cardstock.  All scraps used up... layout done!

This layout documents the first night we put our baby to bed upstairs.  I sat by the baby monitor all night constantly asking my husband to mute the tv so I could listen to snuffles via the monitor.  She was five weeks old at this point and the first time she had ever been out of my sight.  Of course she slept soundly until we went to bed and I was happy to be back in her company once again!

The second layout uses the My Mind Eye paper pad.  For this layout a background was created by using four full sheets of 6x6 papers.  I edged them all with an AC pen to add some definition and then my photo was added on top.  I used a large photo but any size would work.  To the top left and bottom right I added an embellishment cluster and titles.  The journalling was written directly onto the pink patterened paper.

Again the beauty of using 6x6 paper pads in this way is that you can be sure that the four colours and patterns will work together in this way. 

This layout features one of our first photos as a new family of three.  The journalling talks about the fact that life now revolves around this tiny person and although she has only been here for a few short weeks, it feels like she has always been here.

And lastly, this is my layout for the January Sarah Card's blog challenge and uses the Echo Park paper pad. 

A block of patterned paper was created down one side of a background sheet using strips cut from the 6x6 papers.  To keep the creation of these layouts quick, I roughly chopped these strips.  Not worrying about how exact or straight each piece was.  When you cluster them together in this way, you won't notice if a couple of them are wonky or not straight so embrace speedy scrapping!

I selected a few sheets of paper and chopped some strips from them.  These were then layered up together in no particular order.  I didn't pre-plan the layout of these strips... lets keep this quick.  I started at the top and I just stuck them down one by one until the block was created.  Photos added on top, title and journalling written... job done!

I hope this post has given you some ideas to embrace the 6x6 pad.  I used three different collections here but you could easily create all these layouts using one paper pad, an excellent way to make your stash go further.

While I am here... don't forget to link us to your projects for the January blog challenge! There is a £20 shop voucher to be won!  You have until 31st January to take part!


4 comments:

Dawn said...

Fabulous, love the layouts especially the one with the baby monitor!

Hannah said...

Thank you, this is great! I've just ordered my first ever 6x6 pad!

Sandie Vincent said...

Gorgeous pages, I have lots of 6x6 pads hidden in a cupboard, I'm inspired to use them now!

Louise said...

Wow, Abi is getting so big so fast! Lovely LOs, I really love the color scheme.