Saturday 12 May 2012

{Beyond the mask}

 I love to find new ways to use products, and this month I decided to have a look at using masks in ways you might not think to straight away. Masks are usually designed and sold with lines of mists, and they work great together, giving lovely patterns to your pages. However, there are other ways they can be used...

I took this gorgeous new chevron mask from Studio Calico and put it to work on my layouts.


For the page below I used the mask along with Zing! embossing powder and a white pen. I held the mask in place on my layout and stamped over the top of it with a versamark ink pad. I then removed the mask and embossed the design left of the page. It's best to do any embossing like this onto your page before adding other elements as it's easy to get embossing powder stuck in everything else! 


 Once the image was embossed I took a white pen and followed the underside of the pattern to draw attention to it as a feature on my page. Kraft cardstock plus white pen plus brown sugar embossing powder is now a firm favourite combination of mine, I love the subtlety of it, and yet it's enough to catch the eye.


I mixed up a whole bunch of lovely new products for the rest of the page, including designer tape from Bella Blvd, wood veneer pieces from Studio Calico, letter stickers from Jillibean, and papers from Simple Stories, Fancy Pants, Echo Park and Crate Paper. See below for full details. 





4 comments:

Tracie said...

Fantastic idea Jen, really inspired me to get my masks out again! x

Diane Warburton said...

you and I are on the same wavelength or you can read my mind :-) - I've been looking for a chevron mask- stupid Google didn't bring this one up but you've saved the day! I better get ordering then hadn't I?!

Diane Warburton said...

drat! It's out of stock - I'll keep looking out for it though.

Nat said...

Clever use of a mask Jen - love it :) xx